Philadelphia culture is so unique, it simply can’t be duplicated. Have you ever traveled outside of Philly and was able to identify a fellow Philadelphian along the way? Us, too!
For non-natives wondering about Philadelphia culture, we’re here to help you out. We asked our Instagram followers to tell us they’re from Philly without literally stating they’re from Phill. Thus, we compiled a list of 101 undeniable ways to tell if a person is Philadelphia including not only lingo, but also, landmarks and memories.
1. I’ma slide down to the cheeno for a loocy
2. Gotta go tap MAC
3. Nobody likes us; we don’t care
5. West Philly Jim’s is open again
6. Liberty Bell
7. We only eat Sabrina’s Cafe
8. The Gallery
9. Spam is ham in a can
10. Hoagies and a diet coke at Wawa
11. Rita’s Wooder Ice
12. Soft pretzels
13. I spilled some wooder. Lemme clean it up with a tal.
14. Pocket book (instead of handbag)
15. Wuz youze at 2nd Street last Mummers?
16. I met my husband at Egypt.
17. Did y’all see the Eagles game Thursday? That JAWN was on a bean!!
18. Giving someone directions including the Schuylkill expressway and blue route.
19. Saw The Fugs at Trauma. The Association dropped in to watch them after their own show
20. Let me clear my throat… Maui night club.
21. Clover at Cottman and Castor
22. The Boulevard (we never actually say Roosevelt)
24. Delaware Ave
25. I’m bout to go to the papi store
27. Sarcones bread sticks
28. I saw the Hooters play in a high school gym back in the 80s.
29. Shoppin’ on the Avenue!
30. Yung Bull
32. Chill boul
33. Taylors Pork roll and egg sandwich
34. Wooder ice >>> ice cream
35. Meet me by the clothes pin
37. Spaghetti warehouse
40. Stop lights are just suggestions
42. I love Scrapple
43. Not only can I properly spell and pronounce Schuylkill, I can drive on the expressway too!
44. How youse guys doing?
45.“That jawn good” instead of just saying this is so good
46. Dickens Christmas at Wanamaker’s
47. Wer prolly gunna go to Wawa’s and getta hewgee ur sumthin’.
49. Throwin batteries and snowballs at Santa
51. Go Birds!!
53. Daydreams on Un Ruh
54. Down the shore
56. Aunt Mary Pat
59. I gotta go pick up my sister in Delco to go to Mommy and Daddy’s for cutlets after Mass.
60. R.I.P. The Electric Factory
63. The East River Drive (real Philadelphians refuse to call it Kelly Drive). West River Drive (not MLK Drive)
64. Saying “GO BIRDS” in place of thank you
65. Franklin Mills
66. It’s a Philly thing
67. Reading terminal market
68. Kensington Beach
69. Center City
70. Ak-a-me vs. Acme
71. Papi let me get a Cheese steak salt pepper ketchup mayonnaise and fried onions
73. F yous guys
74. Wit witout
76. Churn down this street
77. Pat’s and Geno’s are not good cheese steaks
78. Biking on East River Drive
79. If you can pronounce Schuylkill, Moyamensing, & Wissahickon
80. See that JAWN right there
81. Saltpeppaketchup (all one word)
82. Roadside Soft Pretzels
83. I have the best neck store neighbors
84. Rocky steps
85. Scrapple, egg and cheese on a roll
86. How bout them Phils?
87. I’d love some Stocks
88. Down norf
89. My kid’s favorite toy is a stuffed Squiggles
90. Hold up wait a minute, ya’ll thought I was finished
91. I have “jawn” tattooed on my wrist
92. No “A” sound ever is correct
93., The Blockley
94. Boot & Saddle
95. BACK DOOR DH!!!
96. On the playground is where I spent most of my days
97. The bid
98. Soft pretzels from St vendor
99. This is my parking spot and no one will take it because I put a chair or cone there, thx yous all
101. Random Philadelphia Convo:
“Remember dem jawns we met at the jawn the other night?
Yo, that jawn was crazy! They were wearing them jawns from that jawn on 51st St.”
“The jawn she was with was drawlin’.
You mean the jawn with the runned-ova sneaks on?”
“Nah, fam! The jawn that was eating a hoagie with the musty a** scalp.
“Yeah, that jawn. I had to be up outta there when I saw jawn was trynna get at me. I was like, “Nah, chill wit all that.”
“But that jawn was fire though. I’mma try to hit up shorty later when we come through next week. “
“Aye yo, there go my bus, my guy. I’mma see you later, fam. YURP!”