Bring lawn chairs, a blanket, and popcorn, it’s outdoor movie night!
Spend an evening out of the house and relax as you watch a movie on a huge screen under the stars. This is a perfect way to spend a family night or hang out with friends. Upgrade your movie night by taking it outside to one of these parks or drive-in theaters.
One of the city’s most iconic outdoor cinema events are back! With three venues around the city hosting movie nights, you can choose the venue that is most convenient for you since the same movies are playing at different venues. This film festival is showcasing blockbuster movies as well as alternative films, so you’ll be able to discover a range of movie genres. Below is the schedule for July:
- July 7 and 8: The Boss Baby: Family Business (Film Center), Asia (Bourse), F9: Fast And Furious 9 (Film Center), Zola (Bourse), Werewolves Within (Bourse), Truman And Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation (Bourse), In The Heights (Bourse)
- July 8 to 11: Black Widow (Film Center, Drive-In)
- July 16 to 18: Space Jam: A New Legacy (Drive-In)
Where: Admiral Peary Way &, League Island Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19112 (Drive-In); 400 Ranstead Street, Intersection of Ranstead & S 4th, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (Bourse); 1412 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102 (Film Center)
Many fun activities take place at Dilworth Park, including outdoor movie nights. Displaying classic movies on a big screen for free, anyone can settle in for a movie night under the stars. The movies start at 8:30 p.m. so get there early to get a good spot! The schedule is as follows:
- July 19: Captain Marvel
- July 26: Solo: A Star Wars Story
- August 2: Black Panther
- August 9: Creed II
- August 16: Avengers: Infinity War
- August 23: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Where: 1 S. 15th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
From August 6th to the 30th, Clark Park will be presenting free outdoor movies in partnership with the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation and Friends of Clark Park. Throughout the month iconic movies will be shown for children and adults. They will begin at sundown when it gets dark enough. Some films are rated PG-13 and R, so that is something to keep in mind if visitors are planning to bring children. Here is this year’s lineup:
- August 6: Black Panther, PG-13
- August 13: A League of Their Own, PG
- August 20: The Iron Giant, PG
- August 27: Concrete Cowboy, R
Where: 4300-4398 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104
America’s oldest Drive-In theater is still going strong for its 87th year in a row! This summer, enjoy a double feature movie from the comfort of your car, for the price of one movie; $11 for adults, $7 for children 12 and under. Tickets can only be bought on sight, and this venue is located an hour and a half drive outside of Philly so it is best to plan for both.
- July 7: F9: The Fast Saga at 9 p.m. / Nobody 11:35 p.m.
- July 8 – July 15: Black Widow at 9 p.m. / Cruella at 11:20 p.m.
Where: 4540 Shankweiler Road, Orefield, PA 18069
Make sure you bring your own movie snacks because Schuylkill is no longer serving any this year. Also, make sure to arrive before the sun goes down because the movie will begin at sunset. Attendees must stay socially distanced from one another and masks must be worn during the movie. Here is the lineup for this free outdoor movie:
- July 8: Lady Bird
- July 15: Barbershop
- July 22: Paddington 2
- July 29: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- August 5: Spy
- August 12: The Princess Bride
- August 19: Knives Out
Where: 2401 Walnut Street, Suite 603, Philadelphia, PA 19103
[Featured image: @universitycity / Instagram]